Saturday, 17 January 2015

Crazy Cuisine: Haggis Nachos

"Most Scottish cuisine is based on a dare... but what about Mexican?!"

I recently came across a crazy recipe for haggis nachos and decided, since I'm a Scot who's favourite food is Mexican, this is my ideal dish!

I tweaked the recipe ever so slightly (completely) and just went on my own questionable culinary intuition. Here's what I did:

Ingredients:
  • One Old El Paso nacho kit. Includes: tortilla chips and lots of salsa
  • One bag of grated mozzarella cheese
  • One medium haggis
  • Guacamole
  • Sour Cream 
  • More Salsa
How I Did It:

  1. Sliced open the haggis bung and decanted in small chunks into a microwavable bowl. 
  2. Microwaved on full power for 8 minutes. 
  3. Poured the nachos and salsa into the oven dish and covered with cheese. 
  4. Spooned the cooked haggis over the nachos and sprinkled a further helping of cheese on top. 
  5. Put the finished dish in the oven for 10 minutes until the cheese was completely melted. 

The Verdict:

Taste: This isn't crazy cuisine for no reason. The spicy flavour of the haggis however, surprisingly complimented the Mexican dish.

Appearance: I don't think you can do food art with this one... the haggis was almost black and when I took it from the oven I had to double take as I thought I had burned it for a second.


Should you be eating it on the sofa with a movie? - YES!

Should you be eating it when you're watching your figure? - DEFINITELY NOT!



4 comments:

  1. I've just nominated you for the Liebster Award! Have fun ;)
    http://www.lucylovestoeat.com/2015/01/liebster-award-nomination.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. This does not sound appetizing, but I would so try it. Dare or no dare, I'm up for the challenge. What does it smell like?
    Texas Jak
    http://www.novermyhead.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't think it sounded appetizing either, but I needed to try it. It was surprisingly tasty but a very heavy meal.

      Delete