Saturday, 31 January 2015

My Top Book Quotes: The Book Thief

"A snowball in the face is surely the perfect beginning to a lasting friendship."


The Book Thief watches the story of young Liesel through the eyes of death as she struggles through everyday life in Nazi Germany. Death first notices Leisel when he picks up her younger brother - she witnesses the boys last breath. Death sees the girl several times throughout the war, always remembering her, always feeling drawn to her story. He finally gets the chance to read her story when he picks up her lost diary. What he finds is a tale that makes even death seem human - or at least, more compassionate than humans. 


My highlights: The Book Thief

"A snowball in the face is surely the perfect beginning to a lasting friendship."

"The only thing worse than a boy who hates you. A boy who loves you."

"It was one of those moments of perfect tiredness, of having conquered not only the work at hand, but the night who had blocked the way"

"It's hard not to like a man who not only notices the colours, but speaks them."

"It's a lot easier... to be on the verge of something than to actually be it."

"Humans like to watch a little destruction. Sandcastles, houses of cards. Their great skill is their capacity to escalate."

"I've seen so many young men who think they're running at other young men. They're not. They're running at me." - Death

"When death captures me... he will feel my fist on his face."

"In the darkness of my dark-beating heart, I know it all right. You see? Even death has a heart."

"You want to know what I really look like? I'll help you out. Find yourself a mirror, while I continue." - Death

"It's true for the vast majority - that death waits for no man - and if he does, he doesn't usually wait very long."

"There were stars... they burned my eyes."

"One was a book thief, the other stole the sky."

"The clouds were dirty. Like footprint in the snow. Footprints you say? Well, I wonder who's they could be."

"Humans, if nothing else, have the good sense to die"

"No-one would bomb a place named after heaven, would they? Would they?"

"He does something to me, that boy. Every time. It’s his only detriment. He steps on my heart. He makes me cry."

"It amazes me what humans can do, even when streams are flowing down their faces and they stagger on, coughing and searching, and finding."

"A last note from your narrator. I am haunted by humans."


2 comments:

  1. I loved this book, it's really good!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too! It's certainly up there with the 'must read in a lifetime' category.

      Delete