Friday, 4 September 2015

Crazy Cuisine: Recipe for Cabbage Enchiladas

"Life Without Mexican Food is Like No Life At All"


I came across a stuffed cabbage recipe a few days ago on a lovely food blog called Smitten Kitchen. Since I'm beginning my healthy food swap mantra, a great idea struck me for a food swap which incorporates my favourite of all food - Enchiladas! What if I swap the tortilla for cabbage and see what happens?... here's what I did.

Ingredients
One large cabbage
Chicken breast
One yellow & one red pepper
Mexican Seasoning Mix
Grated cheese
Salsa
Guacamole (optional)
Sour Cream (optional)

What I did
  • Preheat the oven to 180C / 350F. 
  • Cut up you ingredients - the chicken breast and the peppers - and pop them in the frying pan with a dash of oil. Or try a healthy alternative - I use Flora Cuisine Cooking Liquid - 500ml. 
  • Carefully peel off the large outer cabbage leaves. They tear very easily, so emerging the cabbage under hot water for a few minutes may help to soften them to help prevent tearing. 


  • Once your chicken is cooked and the peppers have softened add your seasoning mix (I used Old El Paso Smoky BBQ) and stir. I also added some grated cheese to thicken it up and it worked like a charm! 
    • Once your mix is ready, fill your cabbage leaves, roll and place them in your baking dish. I used a lasagne dish and it worked perfectly!
    • Sprinkle some cheese and salsa on top and pop in the oven for 20 minutes, or until cheese completely melts. 

    • Serve with your choice of guacamole, sour cream and salsa. 



    Verdict
    Try not to go overboard with the guacamole, sour cream and cheese. Or hell, since we're not eating the tortilla maybe we can compensate?! In all seriousness, this recipe is delicious, and something g everyone should try. I highly recommend.

    1 comment:

    1. Looks delish! Best wishes for the new year!! www.mirror-of-fashion.com

      ReplyDelete